Many Things Happened after April 30th, 1975
Sai Gon April 29, 1975 – by Hubert Van Es
- SaiGon city overthrown by the Northern Communist by noon on April 30th, 1975.
- Many former soldiers, officers, and public employees were killed in the public places in the next following days. Some Generals and soldiers committed suicide to honor their service instead of fleeing.
- The new communist regime imprisoned countless Vietnamese citizens in the hard labor camps. Some people spent up to 15 years in the re-education camps for their public services to the South Vietnamese Government and U.S Government. Their house and properties were taken away and the rest of their family had no where to go.
- Many people died in the prisons. Their wife and kids were homeless and were treated badly because of their husband’s and father’s past.
- The South Vietnamese began to flee the new communist regime by boat and by foot to Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and as far as Australia.
- Over 2 million people died during the journey in search for freedom.
- Vietnam is still under the communist rules.